Cherry Peak, 31 July 2016
Six Cache Hikers participated in this strenuous hike: Jean, Chris, Denis, Nikolai, Jeremiah and Bryan, the trip leader. After dropping cars at the Cherry Peak trailhead, we drove to the High Creek trailhead and started hiking at 9:00 a.m. The lower stream crossing went fine; there is a large log with the top shaved off for a broad flat tread (see photo). The group reached High Creek Lake at 12:30 and had lunch.
We were off again by 1:00. We reached the summit of Cherry Peak around 2:00 p.m. and then descended the west shoulder, following the ridge southwest to the head of Cherry Creek Canyon. From there the trail was dusty, but in relatively good shape (a few trees across the trail, but not difficult). We reached the cars at 5:30 p.m.
The hike went well. It's definitely a stiff hike, but very doable and very scenic. We were lucky not to have any threatening storms or smoke.
- Left cars at the Cherry Peak trailhead on the way to the High Creek trailhead (29 miles) and started hiking at 9:00 a.m.
- Lunch at High Creek Lake, 12:30 - 1:00 p.m.
- Arrived Cherry Peak about 2:00 p.m.
- 5:30 at the Cherry Peak trailhead and back at Logan about 6:30
- Clear skies
- 12.6 miles with 3700 feet of ascent
Thanks to Bryan for the narrative, photos and GPS work, and special thanks for leading this hike on short notice.